West Side of Main Street
The Mooney Saloon and the Koehler Bakery were located next to each
other in these two buildings on Main Street. The fires of 1876 and 1878
destroyed frame buildings on this site, and each time Mooney rebuilt his
saloon out of wood. He reopened his saloon for the third time in 1880.
Henry Koehler was forty years old when he opened his bakery and
restaurant in 1879. The grand opening took place on December 13 and
offered free lunches to the citizenry. Described as “...short and
stocky, with thinning dark hair and hazel eyes, and with the third
finger of his left hand missing from the first joint,” Koehler’s
business was a success from the start. In addition to the bakery and
restaurant, he also operated a candy store and saloon.
The Peyton Building was built to replace a wood-frame saloon which
was destroyed in the fire of 1878. William Peyton erected this brick
building in 1879, seemingly for another saloon. Perhaps tiring of the
saloon business, Peyton rented the building in March of 1879 to J. R.
Dunlap who then used the structure as a drug store and post office. A
general store was located in the building at one time.
The Weil Building was built shortly after the fire of 1878 destroyed
his wooden warehouse on the same site. Rebuilding of brick, merchant
Weil operated a general mercantile store here for a number of years. The
building has also housed the Keystone Supply Company.
The last building on the west side of Main Street is an old Brick
Building which was probably built before the 1876 fire. It may, in fact,
have belonged to Weil, but no records as to its construction or early
ownership are known. Old photos reveal that the post office and a
Western Union office were located here at one time.