The City Jail
The City Jail is the only structure that remains from the camp’s old Chinatown. Built in the
1860’s, a Chinese merchant named Sam Choy was the building’s first occupant. Choy ran a store
here for a number of years until the city purchased the building for use as a jail. When the laws
changed and required the city to have an attendant on hand with the prisoners, the old jail was
closed and stood empty for many years. It has recently been remodeled and is once again in use,
although not as a jail. It is located just off Main Street on Birds Way.