The Angels Camp Mercantile
The Angels Camp Mercantile was established in 1860. This is where the miners would go when
they needed a new pair of Levis, a hat, or maybe a fancy shirt for Saturday night. Most of the
early day stores in the mining camps ran their business “on account,” providing the merchant
trusted the customer. The bills were usually settled up once a month, or whenever the miner
happened to make a good strike. This store; however, started a new trend: It was the first in
town to operate on a cash only basis.