The Fallon Hotel and Theatre
The Fallon Hotel and Theatre is undoubtedly one of Columbiaís most impressive buildings
remaining from the Gold Rush. Owen Fallon, a stone cutter from Ireland, arrived in Columbia with
his family in 1856. Choosing the life of an innkeeper over that of the miner, Fallon purchased a
minersí boarding place known as the Main House in April of 1857. Constructed sometime after the
fire of 1854, which destroyed the previous wooden stores on the site, the Main House survived
until it was claimed by the fire of 1857. Fallon rebuilt, his second building lasting until 1859,
when it too went up in flames. Learning his lesson, Fallon built his third structure of brick. It
was completed in 1860 and opened as the Fallon House. His two neighbors to the east also built of
brick after the fire in 1859, and in 1863 he purchased the building next door from a Mr.
Cardinell and joined the two buildings by opening a hallway. Fallon later acquired the Gunn
Saloon which was the next building to the east. These three buildings became Fallonís Hotel.