The Coulter Hotel
The Coulter Hotel is currently part home to the Northern Mariposa County History Center. When
the fire of 1859 destroyed Coulterís big wooden hotel on the plaza, he immediately began looking
for bigger and better quarters. William McCarthy had just completed a large, three-story building
which also faced the plaza. The first two floors were stone, the top story was of wood, and a
canopied porch ran the length of the front. It was a very elegant building and Coulter quickly
rented the structure and reopened his hotel. Alas, the structure burned in the great fire of 1899
and was never rebuilt.