The Sun Sun Wo Store
The Sun Sun Wo Store is the lone remnant of one of the Mother Lode’s largest Chinatowns.
Built in 1851, the store’s adobe walls were formed of soil which came from its basement
excavation. Several inches of dirt were placed over the beamed ceiling which helped insulate
those inside from winter cold and summer heat. It also made the ceiling fire resistant which
accounts for the structure being one of the few buildings in Coulterville to survive the 1899
fire intact. The store is named after its original owners, Mow Da Sun and his son Sun Kow. It was
the largest store in Coulterville under Chinese ownership, filling extensive orders from the
surrounding mines and ranches, not just the local Chinatown. The store remained in continuous
operation from 1851 to 1926 and the original shelves and counters are still inside. At the rear
of the building are storerooms, a blacksmith shop and the store’s office. Strong evidence points
to part of the office being used as an opium den. It is located on the corner of Kow and Main,
across from the goats.