The Chinese Gambling House
The Chinese Gambling House provided the campís large Chinese population with the various
games of chance they were accustomed to play. Other pleasures were also available within the
stone walls, as prostitutes were ever ready to comfort the weary miner. Built into the hillside
circa 1852, the structureís side walls are made of native stone, the front from locally fired
brick. An iron door and shutter once protected the building against fire and thieves, its metal
roof still protects it against the elements. It is located across the street from the Chew Kee Store.