Albany Flat

Town History - Gold Discovery, Early Citizenry, Legends

Historic Sites - Local Ruins, Relics, Buildings & Scenery
       Romaggi Adobe

Travelers' Tips - Directions, Museums, Lodging, &c


Town History

      During 1851, when the placers of Six Mile Creek were proving incredibly rich, a mining camp known as Albany Flat sprang into prominence. Before long an estimated fifteen hundred miners were working the creeks, gulches and ravines in this area, mining great quantities of gold which they readily spent at the stores, restaurants, and saloons that appeared almost overnight. At one time, the stretch of road on both sides of what is now the last building of Albany Flat, the Romaggi Adobe, was lined with buildings and it looked like the town had gained a measure of permanence. But once the rich placers were depleted, the camp declined even quicker than it had grown, and soon the place was deserted. By 1856, three miners and one merchant were the sole inhabitants, and Albany Flat was just a wide spot of countryside on the road between Carson Hill and Angels Camp.

Travelers' Tips


HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!