Campo Seco

Town History - Gold Discovery, Early Citizenry, Legends

Historic Sites - Local Ruins, Relics, Buildings & Scenery
      • Stone Ruins
      • Chinese Store Ruins

Travelers' Tips - Directions, Museums, Lodging, &c

Town History

      Forty different nationalities were represented among the miners of Campo Seco during the early years, making it perhaps the most cosmopolitan of all the mining camps in the Gold Country. The area was first prospected by Mexican miners in 1849, and by the following year quite a camp had grown up around them. It was due to the severe scarcity of water that the place got its name, Campo Seco, meaning "dry camp" in Spanish.
      The camp is located on Oregon Gulch, which was named for a group of prospectors from Oregon who worked the area during 1849. By 1854, the town had three hotels, two churches, several saloons, a brewery, livery stable, smithy, restaurant, post office, stores, and many homes and orchards. Most of the buildings were of wood and up to this time the camp had not suffered a serious fire. The fire of 1854 nearly wiped out the entire town. As the placers were still producing—a ninety-three ounce nugget was found that year—and several hard rock mines were in operation, the town was rebuilt. Most of the stone structures remaining today date from after this fire.

Travelers' Tips
      • Town Map
      • Current Weather

HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!