Town History - Gold Discovery, Early Citizenry, Legends

Historic Sites - Local Ruins, Relics, Buildings & Scenery
      • Adam Lohry's General Store
      • Meyer’s Dance Pavilion

Travelers' Tips - Directions, Museums, Lodging, &c

Town History

      The first miners on the scene here in early 1849 decided to honor the man whose discovery had brought them all to California. They named their camp Marshall; after all, it was located just a mile and a half downstream from where he made his fateful discovery. The name only lasted about a year; however, as it was changed to Uniontown in 1850 to honor California’s admission to the Union.
      During the early 1850’s, an estimated two thousand miners were engaged in working this portion of the South Fork of the American River, and nearby Granite and Shingle creeks. The town which grew up to support the population included ten or twelve boarding houses, a number of assorted stores, a drug store, bakery, blacksmith, restaurant, and of course, several saloons and dance halls.
      The camp’s name was changed for a third time on January 6 of 1881, when the post office was established. Adam Lohry suggested the name of “Lotus,” and so it was called and remains today.
      The gold didn’t last, we know it never does, and the town shifted from a busy, prosperous mining camp to a rather quiet, pastoral community as the miners and merchants followed the call of gold. Today only a few buildings and an old cemetery are left to remind visitors of the mining days of Marshall/Uniontown/Lotus.

Travelers' Tips
      • Lodging

HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!