The Imperial Hotel was originally meant to be a
mercantile store. When the fire of 1878
destroyed a wooden hotel on the site, B.
Sanguinetti decided to build a brick store on the
At some point during the construction he changed
his plans and in 1879 an impressive, two-story
brick hotel was finished. The following year a
two-story frame addition was added to the rear of
the building, which was removed years later. The
hotel was first known as the “Italian Hotel,”
becoming the Imperial at some later date.
Return to Amador City