Auburn

Chinese Merchant Section

The Chinese Merchant Section of town once extended much farther up Sacramento Street than its remaining buildings do today. The three brick buildings which remain replaced wooden structures built in the early 1850ís. The terrible fire of 1855 began in this area and quickly worked its way down the street, claiming everything in its path. As these stores housed provision and supply stores which were vital to the miners, they were quickly rebuilt, and of fireproof materials. Over the years, these buildings have housed the Quong Hi Grocery, the Wing Chong General Merchandise Store, and the Yi Yick Grocery, the latter of which contained a large scale popular with the miners for weighing their gold. The basement areas were used as gambling rooms, opium dens, and brothels.

Return to Auburn

HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!