Auburn Hook & Ladder Company Firehouse
The Auburn Hook & Ladder Company Firehouse has no
match throughout the state. Although the
firehouse was built in 1893, the Company has
operated continuously since it was first organized
on November 13 of 1852, making it one of the
oldest volunteer fire departments in the state.
volunteers were on hand when the worst fire in the
town’s history occurred in June of 1855.
Unfortunately, they were no match for the blaze
which nearly leveled the town in a matter of one
hour and twenty-five minutes. The original bell
used to alarm the town in case of fire is still
located on the third floor of the building, under
the steep, witch’s hat roof.
Return to Auburn