Travelers Rest Hotel
The Travelers Rest Hotel was built in 1851, making
it one of the oldest hotels in town.
Located atop a small hill at 291 Auburn-Folsom
Road, its distance from the main part of town
helped it escape the destructive fires which
claimed many of the early buildings. The hotel was
built and operated by Bishop & Long until 1858,
afterwhich it served as Bishop’s home until 1864.
It was then sold at public auction on the Court
House steps to Eliza G. Caruthers for $4,772.71.
In 1868, Bernhardus (Benjamin) Bernhard purchased
the property for the sum of $3,500. Bernhard, a
native of Germany, was living in St. Louis with
his wife and child when news of the Gold Rush
hit. He came west, but rather than look for gold,
he became a teamster, which paid a better
salary. He sent for his family and they settled
down in Auburn, sometime around 1855 or ’56.
Bernhard continued to drive freight, save his
money, and had five more children by the time he
purchased the Travelers Rest for their family
home. In desperate need of more room for his large
family, Bernhard added on to the structure in
Return to Auburn