La Grange

Trading Post Buildings

The Trading Post Buildings were constructed from local stone in 1850 or 51, and rank among the earliest buildings in the county. Often the owner of a building would want to give his store a more dignified look. One way to accomplish this was to plaster the front and then groove lines into the plaster, making it appear that the building had been built of quarried blocks. Underneath the smooth exterior of the front wall are stones only somewhat less rough than those making up the sides of these buildings. The large iron doors also added to a prosperous look when kept freshly painted and repaired, besides offering the structure protection from fire and thieves. These two buildings served the town for many years and in many functions: post office, butcher shop, general store, stage stop, Wells Fargo office, bank, and warehouses.

Return to La Grange

HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!