The Mount Ophir Ruins
The Mount Ophir Ruins consist of a two-story structure, of which only parts from the side
walls remain, and various and assorted foundations and wells which lay scattered about the site.
The two-story ruin was built in 1853 of quarried slabs of locally mined schist set in mud mortar.
It originally had a slate roof which made it almost fireproof, a valuable asset during the early
years of the Gold Rush. The building was used as a trading post and was quite well established,
being patronized by the miners of the area, as well as packers traveling through on their various
routes through the Southern Mines.
Louis Trabucco left his home in Richmond,
Virginia, in 1850 to make his fortune in the gold
mines of California. Traveling aboard a wagon
train, Trabucco arrived in California after a
somewhat perilous journey, first settling down in
nearby Hornitos where he tried his hand at
mining with little success. In 1854 Trabucco
purchased the well-established trading post at
Ophir, where he was able to make a much better
living providing goods and services to the
Return to Mount Ophir