St. Patrick’s Catholic Church
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church is located on Sheep
Ranch Road, atop a small promontory
surrounded by big pines. Typifying Gothic Revival
churches of the period, construction of St.
Patrick’s began in 1858 upon land donated by Dr.
Jones and was completed in 1861. The church was
built from bricks which were made from a clay
deposit located on the nearby Big Trees road. It
was financed entirely by miners’ donations
collected by the “Church Builder of Calaveras
Pastor J. Motter. The church was dedicated on
Sunday, November 3 of 1861, by Reverend Joseph S.
Alemany, Archbishop of San Francisco. The Pioneer
Cemetery near the church dates back to the
Return to Murphys