St. James Episcopal Church
St. James Episcopal Church,
often referred to as the “Red Church,” is the
second oldest wood
frame Episcopal church in California. Construction
began in 1859 on a site donated by Caleb
Dorsey at the north end of Washington Street.
Funds for the building materials were also donated
and the building was completed in 1860. The
Reverend John Gassman, a native of Norway, served
both the architect and the first minister of St.
James. The church was partially damaged by a
fire in 1868, after which the steeple and west
side were quickly rebuilt. The stained glass
windows, unusual barrel arch eaves, and striking
color combine to create one of the most original
frame structures in the Gold Country.
Return to Sonora