The Kling Building
The Kling Building rose from the ashes of the 1878 fire, replacing Kling’s wood-frame saloon
that was wiped out in the conflagration. Kling used the south half of the building for his new
saloon, the north side of the building was occupied by Hewitt and Hammack’s dry goods and
grocery. The north half of the building has also housed a justice of the peace, a cobbler’s shop,
and an assay office over the years.