The Chinese Merchant Section
The Chinese Merchant Section of town once extended much farther up Sacramento Street than its
remaining buildings do today. The three brick buildings which remain replaced wooden structures
built in the early 1850ís. The terrible fire of 1855 began in this area and quickly worked its
way down the street, claiming everything in its path. As these stores housed provision and supply
stores which were vital to the miners, they were quickly rebuilt, and of fireproof materials.
Over the years, these buildings have housed the Quong Hi Grocery, the Wing Chong General
Merchandise Store, and the Yi Yick Grocery, the latter of which contained a large scale popular
with the miners for weighing their gold. The basement areas were used as gambling rooms, opium
dens, and brothels.