The Auburn Hook & Ladder Company Firehouse

The Auburn Hook & Ladder Company Firehouse has no match throughout the state. Although the firehouse was built in 1893, the Company has operated continuously since it was first organized on November 13 of 1852, making it one of the oldest volunteer fire departments in the state. The volunteers were on hand when the worst fire in the town’s history occurred in June of 1855. Unfortunately, they were no match for the blaze which nearly leveled the town in a matter of one hour and twenty-five minutes. The original bell used to alarm the town in case of fire is still located on the third floor of the building, under the steep, witch’s hat roof.