The Butte Store

The Butte Store is the only structure left from what was once Butte City. Well built to have lasted so long when everything else is gone, this old building was constructed in 1857 from local schist fieldstone with doors and windows framed in fired brick. The post office was housed here for a short time in 1857, and some accounts claim that the structure once housed a bakery run by a man named Xavier Benoist. At one time iron doors and shutters covered all the openings, but vandals made off with those on the lower level. The original owner of the building is not known for sure, but it eventually came into the hands of a man known as Ginnochio, by whose name the building is also known.