Luigi Costa Store

The Luigi Costa Store is the only Gold Rush survivor left in Calaveritas. Costa arrived in Calaveritas in 1851, this adobe building was built in 1852. It may have been operated at one time by an early merchant named John Sharp. During Costa’s proprietorship, the building was used as a butcher shop, a distillery, a general merchandise store, and various other enterprises for a total of fifty years. Descendants of the Costas have preserved this handsome building over the years, and its beautiful location amidst the green rolling hills make it well worth a short side-trip off the main highway.