The Marshall Monument
The Marshall Monument stands at the summit of Marshall Hill, overlooking the town of Coloma
and the site of Sutter’s Mill. The bronze Marshall, holding a gold nugget in one hand, points
with the other to the site where he discovered those first few flakes of gold. The monument is
made of granite and stands thirty-one feet tall, atop of which is the ten foot six-inch tall
bronze statue of James Marshall. The monument was designed and sculpted by J. Marion Wells, and
cast in San Francisco. It was erected by an Act of the Legislature, in May of 1890 at a cost of
$5,000. James Wilson Marshall is buried beneath the monument.