Columbia Engine Company No. 2
Columbia Engine Company No. 2 was formed in 1859, and in 1861 the town’s second hand pumper
fire engine was purchased. The Monumental came from the San Francisco Fire Company who were glad
to get rid of it. It was much too heavy for the hills of San Francisco and had crushed a man to
death. The firehouse which holds the Monumental was built in 1911 and sports metal “brick” siding
(available in the Sears catalog) as a means of fire protection.