The Coulter Hotel

The Coulter Hotel is currently part home to the Northern Mariposa County History Center. When the fire of 1859 destroyed Coulterís big wooden hotel on the plaza, he immediately began looking for bigger and better quarters. William McCarthy had just completed a large, three-story building which also faced the plaza. The first two floors were stone, the top story was of wood, and a canopied porch ran the length of the front. It was a very elegant building and Coulter quickly rented the structure and reopened his hotel. Alas, the structure burned in the great fire of 1899 and was never rebuilt.