The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church stands atop a small knoll above town, a white
landmark surrounded by green pines. The first Catholic Church was built in 1853 near the center
of town. After the fire of 1858 destroyed that building, the church was rebuilt the same year on
the mountainside to the north. Among the early priests were Father Dalton, who was succeeded
several years later by Father Delahunty; in 1858 Father Morris took the reins, followed three
years later by Father Lynch in 1861.