St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery is located on Foresthill Road,
opposite the CDF Fire Station. Covering some three acres of land, its
oldest surviving tombstone dates back to July 27 of 1858. Miners from
such far away places as Ireland, Germany, Portugal, and Chile were laid
to rest here on the Foresthill Divide.
The Foresthill Protestant Cemetery also dates back to 1858. It is
located at the east end of Church Street; the south portion of the
cemetery overlooks the canyon of the Middle Fork of the American River.
As is the case with many cemeteries throughout the Gold Country, wooden
crosses mark the sites of graves whose markers have long since