The United Methodist Church
The United Methodist Church dates back to 1869. The first church on this site was built in
1853 and also probably housed the town’s first school, which remained there until 1858 when a
brick schoolhouse was built down the street. The church survived the 1862 fire, but it didn’t
survive 1868. It was torn down that year in order to build a new Methodist-Episcopal church which
was completed in 1869. The present building includes the original, along with some additions,
remodeling, and relocating. It stands at 120 & 130 Church Street.