Trading Post Buildings
The Trading Post Buildings were constructed from local stone in 1850
or ’51, and rank among the earliest buildings in the county. Often the
owner of a building would want to give his store a more dignified look.
One way to accomplish this was to plaster the front and then groove
lines into the plaster, making it appear that the building had been
built of quarried blocks. Underneath the smooth exterior of the front
wall are stones only somewhat less rough than those making up the sides
of these buildings. The large iron doors also added to a prosperous look
when kept freshly painted and repaired, besides offering the structure
protection from fire and thieves. These two buildings served the town
for many years and in many functions: post office, butcher shop, general
store, stage stop, Wells Fargo office, bank, and warehouses.