The Congregational Church

The Congregational Church is one of the prettiest churches in the Gold Country. Built in 1856, it was the fifth Congregational Church organized in the state and is the oldest church building of that denomination in California. The church was organized on August 23 of 1853, and its first building erected shortly thereafter. That first structure burned to the ground in the fire of 1854. Rebuilt by the Reverend J. S. Zellie in 1856, the construction cost of $2,700 was financed by minersí donations collected every Saturday night by Emma Wells and ladies of the congregation. The new church was dedicated by the Reverend Joseph Benton of Sacramento on March 8 of 1857. It stands on a stone foundation and was constructed of board and batten, its windows and much of the millwork came around the Horn in a sailing ship. The church was incorporated as the Mokelumne Hill Community Church in 1959, when the local congregation received title to the property.