Originally known as El Dorado Camp, the townís name was changed in
1868 when the post office was moved here from the original Mountain
Ranch, which was located one mile away on Whiskey Slide Road.
Little is known of El Dorado Campís early history. It was apparently
named after a local sawmill which must have been a busy operation,
located in the midst of some fine stands of tall timber. The early day
miners in the district suffered from a lack of water during the dry
season, until a ditch was cut to supply water year-round. After its
completion, the area enjoyed a small measure of success before the
placers gave out. The town reached its peak during the 1870ís, as due to
its location on the main road between the railhead at Valley Springs and
the nearby mining camp of Sheepranch, it became the major trading center
for the miners in the region.
Mountain Ranch is located nine miles from San Andreas via Mountain
Visit Mountain Ranch's Historic Sites