The Engler Lime and Brick Kilns
The Engler Lime and Brick Kilns were built in 1852 and have
provided bricks for numerous buildings throughout the Mother Lode.
Here, local limestone was quarried and then slacked in the kilns,
producing a mixture used for grout before cement was available. The red
lateritic soil of the area was excellent for brick making, and many of
the buildings in Sonora and Columbia were made from bricks fired in
this stonebrick, now topless, dome structure. The kilns are located on
the east side of the Shaws Flat Road, north of Hwy 49.