The Armory Building

The Armory Building stands near the Town Monument on Springfield road, one of many Gold Rush ruins on a silent vigil against time and vandals. A wooden building first stood on this site, but was consumed in the flames of an 1853 fire. By the spring of 1854, a two-story brick building had taken its place. The lower floor served temporarily as a Methodist church, while the upper floor was used for various group meetings. At the outbreak of the Civil War, the Methodists moved to another location and the building was used for a short time as an armory. School was taught here for a number of years, which may have caused the addition of a wooden kitchen at the front of the building. Exactly when the top floor was removed is not known.