Nevada Hose Company No. 1 Firehouse
The Nevada Hose Company No. 1 Firehouse dates back to May of 1861. Originally finished with a
white Greek facade, this was removed when the Victorian bell tower and gingerbread trim were
added years later. The early hose carts and engines were first pulled by groups of firemen, which
must have been quite a job among the hills of the city. Manpower soon gave way to horsepower;
however, which enabled the firemen to get to the fires more safely and quickly. The building
served as a firehouse until 1938 and is presently owned by the city and houses a fine museum.
Located at 214 Main Street, it is undoubtedly one of the most photographed and gingerbready
Victorians in town.