The Skidmore House
The Skidmore House stands in the middle of an expanse of green lawn, surrounded by tall
pines. Rush Dix Skidmore built this home in 1862 for his wife Anna and their five children. The
wood frame structure has a large cellar beneath it, although stones piled around the building’s
edge hide it from view. Skid’s main source of income came from his saloon, but he had his fingers
in numerous other enterprises and was always willing to take advantage of a new opportunity to make money.