The Busch Building
The Busch Building is the largest Gold Rush era structure in town. Construction began on
Independence Day of 1871 when the Clampers ceremoniously laid the cornerstone. When it was
completed, the three-story building measured seventy-three by thirty-six feet and cost in the
neighborhood of $16,000. Locally fired brick was used to construct the first two floors, with the
top floor being made of wood. At one time, impressive wood porches extended along the sides of
the first and second story, but they were later destroyed by fire. Busch & Heringlake occupied
the first floor with their large stock of general merchandise; the second floor housed a
restaurant; while the third floor was used as a meeting and dance hall (it was originally
equipped with a spring floor to make the dancers a bit more lively). Wells Fargo & Co.
established an office here as soon as the building was finished, appointing Busch as their agent.
He also served as the town’s postmaster.