The Armory Building
The Armory Building stands near the Town Monument on Springfield
road, one of many Gold Rush ruins on a silent vigil against time and
vandals. A wooden building first stood on this site, but was consumed
in the flames of an 1853 fire. By the spring of 1854, a two-story brick
building had taken its place. The lower floor served temporarily as a
Methodist church, while the upper floor was used for various group
meetings. At the outbreak of the Civil War, the Methodists moved to
another location and the building was used for a short time as an
armory. School was taught here for a number of years, which may have
caused the addition of a wooden kitchen at the front of the building.
Exactly when the top floor was removed is not known.