The first prospectors to mine this area were a party of Mormons in
1848. After finding a good amount of gold in the streams, they decided
to settle down, and their camp came to be known as Mormon Gulch. Judge
Anson A. H. Tuttle arrived in the camp that autumn and built the first
log cabin in the region. The placers continued to pay well for some
time, as a letter dated December 10 of 1849 mentions the fact that five
men took out forty pounds of gold here in just five days. As the camp
grew and prospered, the inhabitants came to feel a new name was needed
for their town. Someone suggested Tuttletown, in honor of the campís
most distinguished citizen, and so the place was called. When the gold
gave out several years later, the camp all but disappeared.
Tuttletown is located on Hwy 49.
Visit Tuttletown's Historic Sites